JENIUS turns five
Well, doesn’t time fly? The month of June coincides with when I first created this blog back in 2006, so that would make this month, my blog’s 5th birthday!
This blog has opened up so many doors for me in my life. It has also led me to connect with other food lovers around the world and along the way, I’ve met some incredible people and have made some lifelong friendships.
Thank you for reading, engaging, connecting, commenting, emailing, and most of all, for your support!
To celebrate this blog’s 5th birthday, I thought I’d share some highlights from these five years of food blogging -
Let’s start with a look at the changing face of JENIUS:
As you can see, I’ve gone through almost as many blog design changes as I have with hair makeovers!
And keeping in tune with my love for writing lists, here are five top 5s:
Five best memories
- My book launch event taught me that anything is possible with passion and determination. I’ll never forget the spectacular turn out!
- Chatting to Dilhan Fernando of Dilmah Tea was an inspiring, empowering and life changing encounter
- I began the process of documenting cherished family recipes including Xiu Mai (Vietnamese meatballs) and Teochew peach-shaped kueh
- I witnessed an olive harvest and learned about the extra virgin olive oil production process at Cobram Estate’s olive grove in Boort, Victoria, Australia – my appreciation for this everyday product changed forever
- I discovered cuisines that I didn’t know existed, such as Uighur food from the Uyghur Autonomous Region of Xinjiang, China
Five best food travel experiences
- Exploring my parents’ hometown and stuffing myself with street food in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
- Stumbling across awesome eats at every corner in Osaka, Japan
- Being charmed by all the colour at Boqueria Markets and eating my body weight in pintxos at Barcelona, Spain
- My first overseas media famil to Kuala Lumpur and Melaka in Malaysia
- Macarons, bouillabaisse and more, in Paris & South of France
Five most favourite press mentions
- Cooking live on Channel Seven’s Sunrise
- I was a nominee for Cosmopolitan’s Fun Fearless Female Woman Of The Year award last year
- My Lebanese food tour event received a massive two-page spread in the Parramatta Advertiser!
- An extra-large photo of me greeted Sydneysiders on page 3 of mX during the week of my photography exhibition!
- I was one of SBS’s featured foodie
Five most frequently re-visited eats
- Sushi Bar Rashai‘s chasoba salad, nasu miso steak (eggplant with miso) and sashimi platters
- Dong Ba‘s bun bo hue (Hue-style spicy beef noodle soup)
- Ribs at Ruby L’otel
- Sweet treats from Victoire
- Hainanese chicken rice and har mee at Singapore Shiok
Five most read blog posts
- Top 100 Australian food Twitterers which is updated once monthly
- 10 things I’ve cooked in the Philips Airfryer was lots of fun to put together
- Breakfast in Balmain includes two of my favourite local breakfast joints
- A killer chicken wing marinade is always popular at BBQs
- The best burgers in Sydney This one is a bit old so look out for an update soon! I’ll definitely be adding Charlie & Co and Moo Gourmet Burgers!
Hope you’ve enjoyed some of these blasts from the past! Looking forward to many more years of deliciousness!