Grab one of these niche gifts for your foodie mum this mother’s day (or even a few if you’re feeling generous) and hear her sigh of relief as she is spared the predictability of receiving another generic mum gift. Even better, these gifts are affordable, all of them coming in at under $100.
These pendants are guaranteed to melt any mother’s heart and are the perfect way to thank her for being your other half from the very beginning.
Personalised Chai Teabags (make them yourself!)
It’s a well-established fact that a cup of tea is the answer to all life’s woes and is the beverage equivalent of a warm hug. Why not make your mother her own personal blend of chai tea and add an even more personal touch by creating your own teabags and adding a cute message on the tag. If you’re not very crafty skip the tea bags and simply present the tea in a nice jar she can reuse.
- 12 green cardamom pods
- 1/2 teaspoon whole red peppercorns (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 4-inch cinnamon stick
- 3 tablespoons chopped candied ginger
- 1/2 cup loose black tea
- A roll of either cheesecloth or Muslin
- Embroidery Thread
- Pen and Paper
- Take a sharp knife and split the cardamom pods down the centre. Place in a pie tin with the peppercorns, fennel, coriander, cloves and cinnamon. Bake for about 5 minutes, or until the spices are fragrant. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Once they are cool, use a mortar and pestle (or if you don’t have them, a rolling pin) to crush the spices.
- Combine the spices, candied ginger and tea together in a bowl.
- Cut your muslin or cheesecloth into 6″ squares. Put a teaspoon of tea on the area of the square closest to you. Then, roll it up, keeping the tea as close to the center as possible. Once you have the roll, bring the two ends together and tie with embroidery thread, leaving some extra thread for the tag. As an added personal touch, cut out little paper rectangles and decorate them with quotes or messages and staple to the end of the loose thread.
- photo credit: tizzie via photopin cc
Grab your mum one of these fabulous designer aprons so she can look gorgeous even while she’s cooking up a storm.
For the mum who loves both baking and puns, this sweet engraved measuring spoon set is the perfect gift.
Give your mum a kitchen herb planter that’s cute to boot.
Help your mum leave her mark on her amazing baked goods with a personalised rolling pin.
Your food loving mumma will love the idea of using edible breakfast products to nourish her face. These face masks use the moisturising, exfoliating, antioxidant, and antimicrobial properties found in common breakfast foods to leave skin soft, rejuvenated, and refreshed.
Any mum who loves food will get excited over these herb and vegetable scented candles which release scents of fresh thyme or vine ripened tomatoes, allowing your mum to close her eyes and be transported to a lush Italian garden.
We may be a little bias, but why not take your mum on one of our Sydney food tours for a decadent gourmet day out!