Escape the daily grind in Sydney and eat your way through Sydney’s countryside! I Ate My Way Through Sydney Farms is an invigorating full day experience that takes you to various farms on Sydney’s basin where you’ll be able to:
- Meet real farmers
- Buy the freshest produce available – just-picked fruit, vegetables and herbs, and handmade jams and honey, and more
- Savour plentiful tastings along the way
- Learn about organic farming practices and see where food comes from!
Overview of our Sydney Farmgate Tour
Sydney is quickly using up the good farmland on the metro frindge that grows its food. We are busy building houses to provide for the ever increasing urbanisation of our population at the loss of our farming communities.
The rich alluvial lands in the Hawkesbury and Nepean flood plains to the west, rolling hills to the north west and south west of Sydney form the city’s food bowl. It contains a diminishing number of small farms which supply the Sydney Markets. They have been suffering for a long time from the rising costs of farming, intensive competition from supermarkets and dwindling available land. Farmers are calling for a lifeline and are now advising people to travel directly to them for freshly picked fruit and vegetables.
I Ate My Way Through Sydney Farms helps you discover more than you could possibly find on your own. Your personal tour guide, Nyla Thomas, will give you the chance to interact with farming communities, orchardists, apiarists and vegetable growers. Nyla’s passion and relationship with these producers offer an intimate and educational experience.
This tour has been designed so that no two tours are the same! We visit different farms around the Wollondilly area, Penrith Valley, the South Coast and/or the Hawkesbury Nepean region depending on what’s in season. This ensures that a rich and bountiful experience is enjoyed through the year, whether it’s the season for olive harvesting or Summertime berries.
The tour cost includes all food tastings, and private bus transportation to and from Penrith Station. These tours are run in intimate groups of eight (8) so the availability is limited! Don’t miss out and book today.
I Ate My Way Through Sydney Farms has been designed to be a food-inclusive ‘eating tour’ event. Think of it as a progressive lunch with a personal guide by your side!
You’ll be hopping on and off our private bus at up to seven stops where you’ll have the opportunity to buy fruit, vegetables, honey, cheese, eggs, meat and bottled delicacies direct from the people who produce it!
Our next Farmgate tours will run on:
- Friday 09/01/2015 from 9:30 AM to 5:00 PM
- Friday 13/02/2015 from 9:30 AM to 5:00 PM
- Friday 13/03/2015 from 9:30 AM to 5:00 PM
- Friday 10/04/2015 from 9:30 AM to 5:00 PM
- Friday 08/05/2015 from 9:30 AM to 5:00 PM
- Friday 12/06/2015 from 9:30 AM to 5:00 PM
- Friday 10/07/2015 from 9:30 AM to 5:00 PM
- Friday 14/08/2015 from 9:30 AM to 5:00 PM
- Friday 09/10/2015 from 9:30 AM to 5:00 PM
- Friday 13/11/2015 from 9:30 AM to 5:00 PM
- Friday 11/12/2015 from 9:30 AM to 5:00 PM
Transportation to Sydney’s rural hinderlands is provided in a private air-conditioned bus to and from Penrith Station.
Penrith is located 50 kilometres west of the Sydney CBD – approximately one and a half hour’s travel time. It is easily accessible by road, rail or bus. Check www.131500.com.au for your nearest route.
The I Ate My Way Through Sydney Farms tour meeting spot is at the bus pick-up zone in front of Penrith Westfield Shopping Centre on Riley Street, Penrith. It is a short two minute walk from Penrith Station.
$130 per person (includes plentiful tastings and transportation to & from Penrith Station).
Attendees are encouraged to bring cash for groceries and other purchases throughout the tour.
Please note this is a full day tour and runs approximately from 9:30am to 5pm.
I ATE MY WAY THROUGH SYDNEY FARMS- TERMS & CONDITIONS
- Minimum numbers. A minimum of 4 people must be booked at each tour for the tour to proceed. In the event that under 4 people are booked, you will be given the option to a full refund or to reschedule your booking
- Checking in. Don’t worry about printing your tickets, your tour guides will have a list of registered names with them.
- Arriving late. Please note that tour guides are not allowed to wait for guests arriving late. Please make sure to make the necessary arrangements to arrive at least 10 minutes prior to the tour. We are on a schedule with all the venues we visit, and we need to make sure tours are not delayed as many participants leave cars on paid by the hour parking lots.
- Attendee Cancellation: No refunds are granted. We will however work with you to reschedule your tour (subject to availability) shall you cancel at least 8 days before the tour date.
- Dietary restrictions. Please note; your are responsible to double check with the tour guide what ingredients are used on all the foods to be tasted so that if you are allergic to any or all of them, you agree that you acknowledge and understand and it is your personal consent to try them or not.
- I Ate My Way Through Tours is not responsible for the foods or beverages consumed on its tours. I Ate My Way Through acts solely as agent in arranging tours, venue visits and other services and does not assume liability for accidents, delays, injuries, loss or damage due to any act or default of any company, organization or person engaged in transporting passengers, rendering service, or carrying out arrangements for any tour or by the act of default of any restaurant or shop or its employees.